ST. PATRICK’S DAY MINT M&M & OREO COOKIE CRUMB COOKIES
MINT M&M’S AND OREO COOKIE CRUMBS COME TOGETHER TO MAKING A DELICIOUS ST. PATRICK’S DAY TREAT.
I don’t want to say these cookies are ‘kitchen sink’ cookies but the ingredient combination was a result of what I had hand — which included an unopened bag of mint M&M’s from Christmas, Oreo cookies that <3M never finished, and a remaining bag of white chocolate chips that I had no use for.
Fortunately, the flavor combination of mint, chocolate cookie crumb, and white chocolate paired together deliciously and resulted in a cookie recipe that was too good not to share!
And, since we were nearing St. Patrick’s Day, I chose to make these cookies St. Patty’s day themed by picking out all the red mint M&M’s from the holiday mix (you on the other hand, can just go buy a bag of the dark & light green mint M&M’s to make these on your own).
If you’re a fan of chocolate chip cookies or adore the Andes mint cookies often made around the holiday season, then you’ll enjoy my mint M&M’s and Oreo cookie crumb cookies. The recipe base is similar to a standard chocolate chip cookie but the flavoring is a crunchy light mint flavor, mellowed by the bits of white chocolate chips.
Cookies flattened slightly prior to baking.
Before baking the cookies, you need chill the dough for a quick 15-20 minutes then after forming the dough into ball you flatten the cookies to about half their original height. If you choose not to chill the dough before baking (or between batches), I found that the dough spreads a bit too much in the oven resulting in a very thin cookie. Once baked, the cookies should be slightly crisp which makes the Mint M&M’s and Oreo cookies perfect for dunking!
So, whether you’re looking to clean out your pantry as I did, or looking for an easy St. Patrick’s Day treat, these cookies are sure to please with their mint M&M’s and Oreo cookie crumb flavors.
ST. PATRICK’S DAY MINT & OREO COOKIE CRUMB COOKIES
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup min M&M’s
- 1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs*
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats and set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat the shortening and sugars on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium, add in the eggs, 1 egg at a time, and mix to combine.
- Add in the vanilla extract and combine.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low to combine, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the mint M&M’s and white chocolate chips and mix on low.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and using a spatula, gently fold in the cookie crumbs so they don’t break. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for 15-20 minutes**
- Using a 1.5 T scoop, place cookie dough balls on to the prepared sheet placing each 2 inches apart. Flatten the cookies to about half their original height. Bake for 8-9 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the bake time. While the cookies bake, place the remaining dough in the fridge to chill.**
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the pan 2-3 minute before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies at room temperature for up to 5 days.
NOTES*Make the Oreo cookie crumbs by pulsing 1.5 rows of Oreo cookies in the food processor for 8-12 seconds. The crumbs should be more on the chunkier side than the sandy side.
**If you do not chill the cookie dough before baking or between batches, the dough spreads too much in the oven, resulting in very thin and crispy cookies.